Friday, December 23, 2022

Matter/OpenThread Border Router/Gateway Reality in the field by end of 2022

It's almost in the end of 2022 and Matter/OpenThread definitely would be noted as one of biggest event in IOT. The design philosophy of Matter is the convergence of IOT so end user won't have panic selecting and using IOT appliances on the markets. Until now, there are lots of company announcing Matter Border Router/Gateway support. I try to figure out or test the reality of such event and hope can help others further understanding this topic.

1. Apple: support Matter to its devices with iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, macOS Ventura, watchOS 9.1, tvOS 16.1, and HomePod 16.1 software updates on Nov. 2022.I try to build Matter/OpenThread light-app, Thermostat, and light-switch-app applications on Silicon Labs EFR32 SoC and all of them work fluently. Incredible! Don't have Matter/Wifi device to test if it work but I would guess it works since Matter/OpenThread works in my tests.

2. Google: release firmware update including the original Google Home speaker, Google Home Mini, Nest Mini, Nest Audio, Nest Hub (1st and 2nd gen), Nest Hub Max, and the new Nest Wifi Pro to support Matter on Dec. 2022. I also use Matter/OpenThread light-app, Thermostat, and light-switch-app applications on Silicon Labs EFR32 SoC to test this. However, it always stops at the end of commissioning process and I believe this is bug and compatibility issue from Google. Since Matter/OpenThread devuce cannot work, I won't expect Matter/Wifi device would work but I welcome someone provides information to prove it works.

Add on Jan. 30th 2023, you can add Matter/OpenThread light-app to Goggle Nest Hub Max by using Android 13 camera to scan QR-code on device.

3. Amazon:  rolling out Matter/Wifi support for 17 Echo devices on Dec. 2022 too and an Android phone is required for Matter setup. Amazon also says that Matter/OpenThread and iOS support will arrive sometime in 2023. Since I don't have Matter/Wifi device, I cannot prove if it works. I also welcome someone provides information to prove it works.

4. Philips: announce they will release new firmware for Hue Bridge in the first quarter of 2023.

5. Samsung: rolling out an OTA update for SmartThings v2 and v3 hubs to add Matter compatibility (via Samsung). The v2 hub will let you control Matter-compatible smart home devices over Wi-Fi and Ethernet, with Thread border router support limited to the v3 hub and SmartThings dongle. I don't have SmartThings hubs to test this and I don't see anyone reports it works by surfing/Google on Internet. I also welcome someone provides information to prove it works.

6.Aqara: users will first gain access to Matter in December 2022 via the Aqara Hub M2 through an OTA (over-the-air) update, which will allow existing Aqara Zigbee devices to become compatible with Matter. I don't have Aqara Hub M2 to test this and also don't see anyone reports this works by surfing/Google on Internet. I also welcome someone provides information to prove it works.

It seems lots of company announcing Matter support but it not actually happens in the field. Maybe it's still too early to judge anything on Matter protocol now. If you are interested in Matter device, I would suggest you to watch and monitor it for now. I would guess 2023 Q2 might be a good timing to check the Matter reality again.

By the way, you won't see much news or press from Apple Matter support but actually they integrate HomeKit with Matter/Thread seamlessly. I would give them a thumb up for solid technology to support this. If you have money, go to buy Apple stock before you buy Apple products.

No comments:

Post a Comment